Tag Archives: health
Lessons learnt from Covid-19 Pandemic
Editor’s note: A supposed “open letter from Bill Gates,” the tech billionaire and philanthropist, has been bouncing all over the internet since at least March 23. The letter — titled “What is the Corona/Covid-19 virus really teaching us?” — is a fake. Gates did not write it. But there’s a reason it has gone viral. It’s pretty terrific. We’d like to share it with you here, with our thanks to Anonymous.
Beautiful message from Mr Bill Gates:
What is the Corona/ Covid-19 Virus Really Teaching us ?
I’m a strong believer that there is a spiritual purpose behind everything that happens, whether that is what we perceive as being good or being bad.
As I meditate upon this, I want to share with you what I feel the Corona/ Covid-19 virus is really doing to us:
1) It is reminding us that we are all equal, regardless of our culture, religion, occupation, financial situation or how famous we are. This disease treats us all equally, perhaps we should to. If you don’t believe me, just ask Tom Hanks.
2) It is reminding us that we are all connected and something that affects one person has an effect on another. It is reminding us that the false borders that we have put up have little value as this virus does not need a passport. It is reminding us, by oppressing us for a short time, of those in this world whose whole life is spent in oppression.
3) It is reminding us of how precious our health is and how we have moved to neglect it through eating nutrient poor manufactured food and drinking water that is contaminated with chemicals upon chemicals. If we don’t look after our health, we will, of course, get sick.
4) It is reminding us of the shortness of life and of what is most important for us to do, which is to help each other, especially those who are old or sick. Our purpose is not to buy toilet roll.
5) It is reminding us of how materialistic our society has become and how, when in times of difficulty, we remember that it’s the essentials that we need (food, water, medicine) as opposed to the luxuries that we sometimes unnecessarily give value to.
6) It is reminding us of how important our family and home life is and how much we have neglected this. It is forcing us back into our houses so we can rebuild them into our home and to strengthen our family unit.
7) It is reminding us that our true work is not our job, that is what we do, not what we were created to do. Our true work is to look after each other, to protect each other and to be of benefit to one another.
8) It is reminding us to keep our egos in check. It is reminding us that no matter how great we think we are or how great others think we are, a virus can bring our world to a standstill.
9) It is reminding us that the power of freewill is in our hands. We can choose to cooperate and help each other, to share, to give, to help and to support each other or we can choose to be selfish, to hoard, to look after only our self. Indeed, it is difficulties that bring out our true colors.
10) It is reminding us that we can be patient, or we can panic. We can either understand that this type of situation has happened many times before in history and will pass, or we can panic and see it as the end of the world and, consequently, cause ourselves more harm than good.
11) It is reminding us that this can either be an end or a new beginning. This can be a time of reflection and understanding, where we learn from our mistakes, or it can be the start of a cycle which will continue until we finally learn the lesson we are meant to.
12) It is reminding us that this Earth is sick. It is reminding us that we need to look at the rate of deforestation just as urgently as we look at the speed at which toilet rolls are disappearing off of shelves. We are sick because our home is sick.
13) It is reminding us that after every difficulty, there is always ease. Life is cyclical, and this is just a phase in this great cycle. We do not need to panic; this too shall pass.
14) Whereas many see the Corona/ Covid-19 virus as a great disaster, I prefer to see it as a great corrector
It is sent to remind us of the important lessons that we seem to have forgotten and it is up to us if we will learn them or not.
Source: whatsapp forward.
AYURVEDA – 3 Dhoshas – Part 2
TROUBLES CAUSED BY VATA
- blood from the nose
- pain to the feet and the calves
- insensibility to the legs
- atrophy of the inferior limbs
- rectal prolapse
- rigid joints, deformations of the backbone (hump etc.)
- rigid jaw
- fragile teeth
- dryness of the mouth
- inability to the taste and the sense of smell
- pain to the ears, deafness
- all the pains to the head
- facial paralysis
- tremors and pangs
- dryness and hardness of the skin (local or general)
- depression and anguish
- disturbed intelligence or limited
- the hair’s loss
TROUBLES CAUSED BY PITTA
- fever, inflammations, feelings of local burning
- excessive perspiration
- marked bodily odors
- cutaneous eruptions
- bitter taste in mouth
- excessive thirst
- insatiable appetite
- eyes, urine, faeces of yellow / greenish color
TROUBLES CAUSED BY KAPHA
- idleness and increase of the sleep
- heaviness of the body and the mind
- sweet taste in mouth
- increase of the oral secretions
- big faeces
- heaviness to the breast
- cervical adenitis
- bad digestion
- eyes, urines, faeces more white of the normal one
REMEDIES AND THERAPIES FOR VATA
- massage with oil
- Turkish bath, sauna, warm bath and similar
- busy and active mind
- alcoholic medicinal preparations
- nourishing diet (well cooked, warm, greasy, liquid foods, from the sweet or acid or salty prevailing taste)
- good humor
REMEDIES AND THERAPIES FOR PITTA
- internal and external use of ghee (clarified butter)
- light laxative
- fresh diet (fresh foods, liquid foods, from the sweet or bitter or astringent prevailing taste)
- cold bath
- pleasant environment: fragrances of flowers, music, friends etc.
- don’t sleep during the day
REMEDIES AND THERAPIES FOR KAPHA
- strong laxative
- light diet (warm, light, dry foods, from the spicy or bitter or astringent prevailing taste)
- aged alcoholic drinks
- dry massage (without oils or creams)
- less sleep
- physical activity
- emetic, honey and few comforts are essential
CHART OF THE CONSTITUTION
|Kosham Involucre:||Blessed Mental||Energetic Intellectual||Physical|
|Elements:||Ether Air||Fire Water||Water Earth|
|Physical Structure:||Not harmonic, too high or too low, prominent lineaments||Balanced||Heavy, big, strong|
|Stature:||Very high or very low||Medium, balanced||Low|
|Skin:||Dry, rough, cold, with wrinkles||Soft, warm, oily, sensitive, irritable, with freckles||Soft, smooth, soft, fresh, moist|
|Hair:||Dry, rough, curly, brittle||Soft, shiny, thin, fat, gray hair, baldness||Fat, dark, dense, soft, wavy|
|Nails:||Irregular, rough, brittle||Soft, tender, flexible||Big, strong, regular, soft|
|Eyes:||Small, sunken, with no brightness||Medium, bright, warm, red||Large, liquid, dark, sweet|
|Ears:||Very small or very large||Medium, pointed||Large|
|Nose:||Very small or very large||Medium||Harmonious|
|Lips:||Dry, cracked||Soft, red, long||Pale, large, well-designed|
|Tongue:||Small, dark||Medium, Red||Large, bright|
|Teeth:||Irregular||Regular, weak||Regular, white, strong|
|Neck:||Long or short||Medium||Taurinus|
|Arms, legs:||Small or long||Medium||Mighty|
|Hands, feet:||Small or long||Medium||Big|
|Appetite:||Variable||Good||Good, greedy, gluttonous|
|Sweating:||Low||Abundant, constant||Slow to start, abundant|
|Feces:||Dry, hard||Soft||Thick, heavy|
|Urine:||Low, clear||Abundant, yellow||Moderate, clear|
|Digestion, Evacuation:||Irregular||Excellent||Slow but good|
|Sexual desire:||Variable||Moderate, balanced||Indifferent, slow to start|
|Sensitivity:||Cold, dryness, wind||Heat, sunlight, fire||Cold, humidity|
|Immune function:||Low, variable||Medium, heat-sensitive||Good, high|
|Tendency to disease:||Pain||Fever, inflammation||Congestion, edema|
|Type of disease:||Nervous||Blood, liver||Lungs, phlegm|
|Activity:||High, impatient||Moderate||Low, slow|
|Resistance:||Low, exhausted easily||Medium, concentrated||High|
|Sleep:||Irregular, scanty, sometimes deep||Moderate, easy||Deep, prolonged|
|Dreams:||Many, forgets||Enough, remembers||Many, remembers|
|Language:||Fast, prolix||Acute, sharp||Slow, poor|
|Mind:||Restless, active, theoretical, philosophical||Practical, rational||Stable, slow, harmonious, calm|
|Memory:||Good the recent, low the remote||Acute, clear||Slow but steady|
|Emotionality:||Uncertain, unpredictable, adaptable||Aggressive, revengeful, brave||Indifferent, attacked, loving|
|Governs:||Fear / Courage; Anxiety / Contentment; Nervousness / Calm; Pain / Pleasure; Relaxation / Tension||Hunger / Thirst; Weakness / Strength; Hot / Cold; Distraction / Attention; Jealousy / Generosity||Love / Hate; Desire / Indifference; Attachment / Detachment|
|Personality:||Intelligent, light, wise, sensible, not concentrated, research spiritual development||Intelligent, strong, intolerant, easily understood, do not forget, friendship for selfish||Quiet, stable, happy, generous, austere, humble, tolerant|
|Temperament:||Nervous, changeable||Motivated||Calm, stable, generous|
|Social relationships:||Knows many people, few close friends||Selective, create deep friendships, few enemies||Loyal, with many friendships|
|Faith:||Variable||Strong, determined, fanatical||Firm, slow to change|
|Economy:||Tends to spend on trifles||Moderate, lavish spending||Saver, spends for food|
* Rasa (tastes)
* Diets for: Constitution VATA – Constitution PITTA – Constitution KAPHA
* Physical exercise for the 3 dosha
To establish of what type of constitution we are and to establish a diet is good routine to address to an ayurvedic physician.
In this section the matter is treated in general line to better understand the principles and the techniques of Ayurveda.
The diet, being of primary importance, has a big consideration in ayurvedic medicine. In western country is given more importance to the quantity of calories of the food and the classification in fat, carbohydrates, proteins etc., with little consideration on the digestive ability of the consumer, on the season, on the mental state of the individual or on the equilibrium of the energies in body and mind. According to the ancient Indian medicine the diet is above all a tool of preservation of the state of health and prevention of illness. That’s why we cannot ignore these important factors that so heavily influence our psycophysic equilibrium.
SWEET – RICE, PASTA, SUGAR, GHUR(SUGAR CANE), MILK, BUTTER, CARROTS, GRAPE, FIG, LIQUORICE
ACID – YOGURT, LEMON, VINEGAR, CHEESE, TOMATO
SALTY – SALT, TAMARI (SOYA SAUCE), SALTY PEANUTS, SEA ALGAS
SPICY – PEPPER, CAPSICUM, GINGER, GARLIC, ONION
BITTER – SPINACHES, CHICORY, GREEN VEGETABLES, TURMERIC, RHUBARB
ASTRINGENT – LEGUMES, KHAKI, ALL THE SOUR FRUIT, RAW HONEY
|SWEET||KAPHA||VATA AND PITTA|
|ACID||KAPHA AND PITTA||VATA|
|SALTY||KAPHA AND PITTA||VATA|
|SPICY||PITTA AND VATA||KAPHA|
|BITTER||VATA||KAPHA AND PITTA|
|ASTRINGENT||VATA||KAPHA AND PITTA|
IN GENERAL TO FAVOR WELL COOKED, WARM, GREASY, LIQUID FOODS, FROM SWEET OR ACID OR SALTY PREVAILING TASTE
TO FAVOR THE CONSUMPTION OF:
CEREALS: Rice, Wheat in all its preparations, Oat (cooked)
DAIRY PRODUCE: Milk, Yogurt, Butter, Cheeses of cow
VEGETABLES: Tofu (soya cheese)
MEATS: Chicken, Turkey, Rabbit, blue Fish
VEGETABLES: Asparaguses, Avocado, Beets, Tomatoes, Carrots, Fennels
FRUIT: Fig trees, Raisin, Dates, Orange, Banana, Lemons, Pineapple, Mango, Peaches, Melon, Plums, Pear, Kiwi, Cherries
DRY FRUIT AND SEEDS: Almonds, Walnut-trees, Filberts, Sesam
SPICES AND AROMAS: Anise, Garlic, Basil, Cinnamon, Nails of carnation, Fennel, Sage, Ginger, Nutmeg, Rosemary, Saffron
FAT: Olive Oil, Butter, Tahin (sesam butter), Gee (clarified butter)
SWEETENERS: Sugar of cane, Honey (few)
TO REDUCE THE CONSUMPTION OF:
CEREALS: Bowline, Millet, Rye
DAIRY PRODUCE: Milk and cheeses of goat
MEATS: Steer, Calf, Pig
LEGUMES: Beans, Chick-peas
VEGETABLES: Cabbage, Eggplant, Lettuce, Broccolis, Potatoes, Peppers, Pumpkin
FRUIT: Sour and not sweet
SPICE: Turmeric and Capsicum
SWEETENERS: White Sugar
TO FAVOR FRESH, LIQUID FOODS, FROM THE SWEET OR BITTER OR ASTRINGENT PREVAILING TASTE
TO FAVOR THE CONSUMPTION OF:
CEREALS: Rice, Wheat, Bowline
DAIRY PRODUCE: Milk, Gee, Butter, fresh Cheeses, Ricotta
MEATS: Chicken, Turkey
VEGETABLES: Asparaguses, Lettuce, Courgettes, Spinaches, Beets, Broccolis, Cucumbers, Potatoes
LEGUMES: Chick-peas, Broad beans, Peas, Red Lentils, Tofu
FRUIT: All less Orange, Grapefruit, Mango
DRY FRUIT AND SEEDS: Sunflower and Pumpkin
FAT: Gee, Olive Oil (not too much), Sunflower Oil
SPICE IS AROMAS: Turmeric, Coriander, Fennel, Mint, Saffron
SWEETENERS: Sugar of cane, Honey (in the cold season)
TO REDUCE THE CONSUMPTION OF:
CEREALS: Corn, Rye, Millet
DAIRY PRODUCE: Yogurt, sour and salty Cheeses
LEGUMES: Beans, Lentils
VEGETABLES: Tomatoes, Spinaches, Onion, Eggplants, Peppers
FRUIT: Orange, Grapefruit, Mango
OILS: Sesam, Corn, Peanuts
SPICE IS AROMAS: Pepper, Capsicum, Ginger (dry), Sage, Oregano, Thyme, Garlic, Mustard, Vinegar, Tamari
SWEETENERS: Honey (in the cold season)
TO FAVOR WARM, LIGHT, DRY FOODS, FROM THE SPICY OR BITTER OR ASTRINGENT PREVAILING TASTE
TO FAVOR THE CONSUMPTION OF:
CEREALS: Bowline, Millet, Rye, Emmer, Tapioca
DAIRY PRODUCE: Skimmed milk, Milk and cheeses of goat
LEGUMES: Chick-peas, Lentils, Peas, Soy
MEATS: Chicken, Turkey
VEGETABLES: Beets, Chicory, Lettuce, Eggplant, Spinaches, Pumpkin, Courgettes
FRUIT: Cherries, Maracuja, Apple, Pomegranate, Fruits of wood, Papaya
OILS: Sesam, Olive
SPICE AND AROMAS: Laurel, Basil, Nails of carnation, Cardamom, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Marjoram, Oregano, Black Pepper, Sage, Ginger
TO REDUCE THE CONSUMPTION OF:
CEREALS: Laughed white, Bread and pasta white, Oat
DAIRY PRODUCE: Whole milk, Butter, Gee, Yogurt, Cheeses of cow
VEGETABLES: Avocado, Beets, Carrots, Potatoes, Tomatoes
FRUIT: Orange, Banana, Dates, Figs, Mango, Melon, Coconut, Peaches, Kiwi, Grape
DRY FRUIT AND SEEDS: All
FAT: Butter, Gee, Margarine
SWEETENERS: White Sugar, Sugar of Cane
|VATA||NO HEAVY ACTIVITY, BETTER WALKS OR BICYCLE|
|PITTA||WATER SPORTS, SKI, GOLF, SPORTS IN THE GREEN OR MOUNTAIN|
|KAPHA||ATHLETICS, BOATING, BASKETBALL, HEAVY SPORTS|
AYURVEDA – 3 Dhoshas – Part 1
|3 DOSHA (PHYSICAL STRUCTURE)||3 GUNA (MENTAL STRUCTURE)|
|VATA (light – soft – dry)||SATTVA (light – thin – quickening – virtue)|
|PITTA (fluid – warm – active)||RAJAS (activity – passion)|
|KAPHA (cold – dense – slow)||TAMAS (ignorance – inactive – heavy – obstruction)|
VATA ETHER + AIR
ROUGHNESS – LIGHTNESS – THINNESS – COLDNESS – MOBILITY – DRYNESS
PITTA FIRE + WATER
HEAT – ACUTENESS – SPICY TASTE – LIQUIDITY – BAD ODOR – LIGHT GREASINESS – ACID TASTE
KAPHA EARTH + WATER
HEAVINESS – COLDNESS – SOFTNESS – SLOWNESS – GREASINESS – STABILITY – SWEETNESS
Vata is motion: anything that is inherent to the movement tends to increase this Dosha while everything is static tends to stabilize it.
Pitta is fire, all that is heat tends to increase this Dosha while all that is refreshing tends to pacify it.
Kapha is static: all that is heavy tends to aggravate this Dosha while everything is light tends to pacify it.
Factors of increase of Dosha
Taking into consideration the standards of conduct, there are actions and particular conditions that cause the increase of Dosha because of the quality that they express.
|Fasting||Food sour, salty||Salty, fatty, oily, heavy foods|
|Eating food too seasoned or dry and astringent substances||Food and drinks that create burning sensations||Sedentary lifestyle|
|Exposure to cold||Noon and midnight||Cold and damp, spring|
|Staying up late into the night||From 10 to 14 and from 22 to 2||Morning|
|Adulthood||Hot and humid summer||From 6 to 10 and from 18 to 22|
|From 14 to 18 and from 2 to 6||Digestive process||Attachment|
|Autumn, windy season||Youth||Envy|
|Excessive blood loss|
|Excessive sexual intercourse|
|Incorrect body positions|
|Suppression of natural urges|
|Feelings of guilt|
|Irregularities of the natural rhythm|
RESPIRATION, ENERGY, VIBRATIONS, IMPELLED ETC. DEPEND ON VATA
DIGESTION, BODILY HEAT, THIRST AND HUNGER, SKIN, GREED OR POSSESSIVE INSTINCTS, SEES, INTELLECT, BRAVERY ETC. DEPEND ON PITTA
STABILITY, SOLIDITY, GREASINESS, STABLE JOINTS, SEXUALITY, MEMORY, AWARENESS, STRENGTH, GENEROSITY ETC. DEPEND ON KAPHA
ENTHUSIASM, DYNAMISM, MIND IN ALERT AND VIGILANT, ENERGY AND VITALITY, REGULAR EVACUATION, DEEP SLEEP
PAIN, RESTLESSNESS, INSENSIBILITY, CONTRACTIONS AND TREMORS, INSTABILITY, ANXIETY, INSOMNIA, DRY SKIN, CONSTIPATION
ACUTE INTELLECT, BALANCED APPETITE, GOOD DIGESTION, BRIGHT SKIN, GOOD SEES
BURNING, FEVER, PERSPIRATION, IRRITABILITY, FEELING OF BURNING ON THE BODY, VORACIOUS APPETITE, UNBALANCED DIGESTION, YELLOWISH COLOR
COURAGE, FORGIVENESS, CALM, PLEASANT ASPECT, SOFT AND ATTRACTIVE FORMS, DARK AND STRONG HAIR
IDLENESS, LETHARGY, OBESITY, PALLOR, FEELING OF HEAVINESS, YAWNS
Continued in Part – 2 ……..
Key to Happiness
“ I am rich, fit, and I have mastered almost everything I wanted to master. Why am I still not happy and still not satisfied?” – posted in Quora by Anonymous
Answer by Karim Elsheikh:
“Human happiness (as we know it) is caused by 4 basic chemicals:
# On your journey to become fit, your body released endorphins to cope with the pain of physical exercise. You probably began to enjoy exercise as you got into it, and the endorphins made you happy – temporarily.
# On your journey to become rich, you probably completed many tasks and goals. You probably bought all the things you’ve ever wanted. Nice cars, beautiful clothes, and a perfect home. This released dopamine in your brain when you achieved your goals and bought these things, which once again contributed to your happiness – temporarily.
So what about the other two chemicals?
It turns out that human happiness is incomplete without all 4 chemicals constantly being released in the brain.
So now you need to work on releasing serotonin and oxytocin.
“How do I do that, Buddy?”
# Serotonin is released when we act in a way that benefits others. When we give to causes beyond ourselves and our own benefit. When we connect with people on a deep, human level. Writing this Quora answer is releasing serotonin in my brain right now because I’m using my precious time on the weekend to give back to others for free. Hopefully I’m providing useful information that can help other people, like yourself.
That’s why you often see billionaires turning to charity when they have already bought everything they wanted to, and experienced everything they wanted to in life. They’ve had enough dopamine from material pleasures, now they need the serotonin.
# Oxytocin on the other hand, is released when we become close to another human being. When we hug a friend, or shake someone’s hand, oxytocin is released in varying amounts.
Oxytocin is easy to release. It’s all about becoming more social!
Share your wealth with your friends and family to create amazing experiences.
Laugh, love, cooperate, and play with others.
That’s it my friend!
I think it all comes down to the likelihood that you are missing two things: contribution and social connection”
Joy of Living
I was jogging this morning and I noticed a person about half a km ahead. I could guess he was running a little slower than me and I felt good, I said to myself I will try catch up with him.
I had about a km before I needed to turn off. So I started running faster and faster. Every block, I was gaining on him just a little bit. After just a few minutes I was only about 100 feet behind him, so I really picked up the pace and pushed myself. I was determined to catch up with him.
Finally, I did it! I caught up and passed him. Inwardly I felt very good. “I beat him”.
Of course, he didn’t even know we were racing.
After I passed him, I realized I had been so focused on competing against him that I had missed my turn to my house,. I had missed the focus on my inner peace, I missed to see the beauty of greenery around, I missed to do my inner Namasarmarna, and in the needless hurry stumbled and slipped twice or thrice and might have hit the footpath and broken a limb.
It then dawned on me, isn’t that what happens in life when we focus on competing with co-workers, neighbours, friends, family, trying to outdo them or trying to prove that we are more successful or more important and in the bargain we miss on our happiness within our own surroundings?
We spend our time and energy running after them and we miss out on our own paths to our given destination. The problem with unhealthy competition is that it’s a never ending cycle.
There will always be somebody ahead of you, someone with a better job, nicer car, more money in the bank, more education, a prettier wife, a more handsome husband, better behaved children, better circumstances and better conditions etc.
But one important realisation is that ‘You can be the best that you can be, when you are not competing with anyone.’
Some people are insecure because they pay too much attention to what others are, where others are going, wearing and driving. Take whatever you have, the height, weight and personality. Accept it and realize, that you are blessed. Stay focused and live a healthy life. There is no competition in Destiny. Each has his own.
Comparison AND Competition is the thief of JOY. It kills the Joy of Living your Own Life.
Run your own Race that leads to Peace.